Spotfire 7.6 includes two new visualization types, the waterfall chart and the KPI chart, many improvements to the cross table visualization as well as a number of other improvements.
[tab title=”New Visualizations“]
Waterfall chart visualization:
KPI chart visualization
[tab title =”Data Management” ]
The expanded data panel has been enhanced with the ability to show a visual overview of the data table structure; the Source view. Also, there have been massive improvements to the handling of linked or embedded data in an analysis; you can now combine both linked and stored data in one data table.
Visual overview of data table structures
It is sometimes challenging to understand which data sources and what methods have been used to create combined data tables. To solve this problem, data table data sources and operations can now easily be viewed in the Source view of the expanded data panel. It is possible to see detailed information about operations and preview intermediate resulting data tables after individual steps.
● Both Spotfire Analyst and Spotfire Business Author now offer a source view showing an overview of how an individual data table is defined. For example, the source view shows detailed information about data sources (both in-memory and in-database), add rows operations, add columns operations, and add transformation operations.
● Both clients also allow you to preview the intermediate resulting data table after each individual operation (step) in the tree. This is valuable during development of an analysis, as well as when testing and troubleshooting.
Combine linked and stored data in the same data table
Data from different sources are often combined into a single data table in Spotfire. The problem until now has been that if data from one source was embedded, the combined data table also became embedded, and it was no longer possible to refresh data from any source. Now, data from individual data sources can keep their linked settings, even if they are combined with stored (embedded) data. Spotfire can be configured to use different data loading settings for different data source types and apply proper default settings. An example is Salesforce.com data that is available online and, thus, will always be linked by default. A Microsoft Excel or DXP file uploaded to Spotfire Business Author will not be available after the initial upload and will therefore be stored in the analysis. SBDF files in the library are by default linked, because they are available for data reload. As an end user you simply don’t need to worry about whether data should be embedded or not anymore.
Split columns into new columns based on column values
● You can automatically, without manual configuration of the split, split columns using commonly used separators.
● A split operation automatically adds new columns to an appropriate category (using the heuristics of the add columns function).
● You can manually configure the splitting of a column by modifying:
● The number of columns that should be created.
● The number of characters to ignore in the beginning or end of the original string value.
● Whether to split from the beginning or the end of the original string.
● You can determine whether the source column should be hidden or not (the option to hide the source column is offered if you try to delete the original column).
● You can split all in-memory columns.
● You can split in-database columns added using the Microsoft SQL Server connector.
[tab title = “ Data connectors “]
Spotfire 7.6 can access to data from
● Google Analytics
directly from Spotfire Business Author (as well as from Spotfire Analyst), support for advanced connection parameters and stored procedures in many connectors, as well as support for SAP BW 7.4.